In this post I thought we’d quickly go through the existing roles that are used in doing the RAC-install and see what they do. There are a few other roles as well, which are not being used at the moment, so we’ll not go through them.
The following roles are also used when setting up a Grid Infrastructure in a Stand-alone configuration (Oracle Restart)
Below is pretty much a copy of the README.md from the Github page.
The different roles are:
common: This will configure stuff common to all machines
- Install some generic packages
- Configure ntp
- Possibly add a default/deploy user.
orahost: This will configure the host specific Oracle stuff:
- Add a user & group (at the moment only a dba group)
- Create directory structures
- Generate ssh-keys and set up passwordless ssh between clusternodes in case of RAC/RAC One node
- Handle filesystem storage (partition devices, creates vg/lv and a ext4 filesystem etc).
- Install required packages
- Change kernel parameters
- Set up pam.d/limits config
- Configures Hugepages (as a percentage of total RAM)
- Disables transparent hugepages
- Disables NUMA (if needed)
- Configures the interconnect network (if needed)
- Configures Oracle ASMLib
orahost-storage: This role configures storage that shoud be used by ASM.
- Partitions devices (using parted)
- Create ASMlib labels on disks
oraswgi-install: This role will install and configure Oracle Grid Infrastructure. Tested with 18.104.22.168/22.214.171.124
- Adds a .profile_grid to the oracle user
- Sets up directory structures
- Copies the install-files to the servers
- Install Oracle Grid Infrastructure
oraasm-configureasm: This role will create and configure the ASM-instance with an initial diskgroup.
- Generates a shellscript that uses asmca to create the ASM instance
oraasm-createdg: This role will create the diskgroup(s) that should be used for database storage. Uses asmca to create diskgroups.
- Generates a shellscript that uses asmca to create the diskgroups. Note: It will try to create the initial diskgroup again, and fail but that is ok, the error is ignored and the play will continue.
oraswdb-install: This role will install the oracle database server(s). If there will be more than one database running it will get its own ORACLE_HOME. It performs both Single Instance/RAC installations.
- Creates a .profile_databasename
- Creates directory structures
- Transfers install files to server(s)
- Installs the database-server(s)
oradb-create: This role creates the databases (RAC/RAC One Node, Single Instance). Performs a dbca silent run to create the database. Note: At the moment there is no listener configured when creating a database on a filesystem (i.e no grid infrastructure present). Will be added later though.
- Generates a responsefile to be used by dbca
- Creates the db using dbca
- Changes init parameters based on input.